Hi Richard,

Thank you very much for your rapid response.

My customer asks me about a popular site created with Livecode because they would like to make sure that if I get hit by a car, or we have a problem, another company could maintain their website. I mean, they would like to be sure of their business continuum.  I know, it is always the same story ...

I have been making websites for twenty years and I want to do something different. I have never made a website with Livecode and I feel excited thinking about it.

I feel very comfortable with Livecode and I don't want to start a customized web site using PHP or Python again. Sometimes it is not enough to do a good job, it is also important to have some fun doing it. Livecode allows me to think in a different way than I have using other programming languages, and that is like a drug that I can no longer stop.

    > What is a "modern" website?  That's not a trick question, just curious what specific types of features you're looking for.

A fully responsible website.

    > Because it gets the job done at low cost

I understand it, but if we all don't start creating more things with Livecode, it will always be an exotic language without many job opportunities. More job opportunities will give us more community, more programming libraries, more documentation, etc.

    > In general, it's only worthwhile building custom software that doesn't already exist.

Maybe we can rebuild those software using LiveCode.

    > LC can be a good choice when you have specialized needs not already addressed off-the-shelf.

We use it into our company for that: internal apps.

But I think that Livecode could give people again, the full control of their computer, and the gap between a programmer and a computer user would get narrower. Something like that happened in the 1980s.

I have my own company in Spain, but I moved to NYC 2 years ago and I work as an IT director at an arts school in New York City. In our coding classes I see those teens dealing with Python and with the command console...

It will be a dream for them to use livecode, but teachers refuse to use it because they told me it is not very spread.

Hery

On 7/2/20 4:09 PM, Richard Gaskin via use-livecode wrote:
Heriberto Torrado wrote:

> I am trying to convince a customer to create their next website
> with  LiveCode Server instead PHP.  The client asks me what other
> popular sites are created with LiveCode server.

If you're dealing with the sort who goes only by popularity, nothing else matters.  They live in a world where there are only two choices: C for the desktop and PHP for servers.

It may be worth noting, though, that if they'd been consistent about their fixation on popularity they'd still be using Perl, and would have ignored the advent of PHP. ;)

And they never would have enjoyed Ruby on Rails, but even at its peak it was never the most popular solution.

> Do you know modern websites created with LiveCode

What is a "modern" web site?  That's not a trick question, just curious what specific types of features you're looking for.

> I have seen that the current LiveCode site runs Wordpress + PHP.
> Do you know why?

Because it gets the job done at low cost.

LC Ltd has generic needs for content management, no evident content strategy in terms of syndication, simple editorial workflow with minimal roles - for generic stuff generic tools are great.

With the question of build or buy, it's almost always cheaper to buy. And with WP the hard cost is zero, so it's just learning curve.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems

Best regards/ Saludos cordiales/ Cordialement

Heriberto Torrado
​Chief Technology Officer (CTO)
​Director de informática
Directeur informatique

*NetDreams S.C.*
http://www.networkdreams.net

 Address / Dirección / Adresse:​

*USA: *538 East 85th Street, #1C Manhattan NY, NY 10028 USA
*Europe / Europa: *Paseo de la Castellana 135 10ª Planta Madrid 28024 Spain / España

*Tel - Phone - Fax:*

Phone / Tel USA : +1 917 287 5644 / +1 646 596 8787
Phone / Tel Spain :+34 627 556 500 / + 34 91 063 74 48

   Please consider the environment before printing this email / Por favor considera tu responsabilidad medioambiental antes de imprimir esta página.

Confidentiality: The information contained in this message as well as the attached file(s) is confidential/privileged and is only intended for the person(s) to whom it is addressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, or you have received this comunication in error, please be aware that any dissemination, distribution or duplication is strictly prohibited, and can be illegal, and please notify us immediately and return the original message to us at the address above. Thank you.

Confidencialidad: La información contenida en este mensaje y/o archivo(s) adjunto(s) es confidencial/privilegiada y está destinada a ser leída sólo por la(s) persona(s) a la(s) que va dirigida. Si usted lee este mensaje y no es el destinatario señalado, el empleado o el agente responsable de entregar el mensaje al destinatario, o ha recibido esta comunicación por error, le informamos que está totalmente prohibida, y puede ser ilegal, cualquier divulgación, distribución o reproducción de esta comunicación, y le rogamos que nos lo notifique inmediatamente y nos devuelva el mensaje original a la dirección arriba mencionada. Gracias.

Viruses: Although we have taken steps to insure that this e-mail and attachments are free from any virus, we advise that in keeping with good computing practice, the recipient should ensure they are actually virus free.

Virus: Aunque hemos tomado las medidas para asegurarnos que este correo electrónico y sus ficheros adjuntos están libres de virus, le recomendamos que a efectos de mantener buenas prácticas de seguridad, el receptor debe asegurarse que este correo y sus ficheros adjuntos están libres de virus.