Brian and Ralph,
Thanks. I gave up because there are easier, more obvious ways to do what I
want. Several posts have mentioned shortcomings in the segmented control widget
and I think if it would respond to mousedown and mouseup messages, it would be
easier to use in more situations, as well. It could use an upgrade, in my
humble opinion!

Best,
Bill

William Prothero