I would find it very helpful if we would share some code in this “thread” about
threads?

At the moment I have a need to break up a heavy indexing task on a LiveCode
server into a series of smaller steps that execute asynchronously.

The web server receives a webhook  notifying it that there is some new data
that needs indexing, and should reply immediately notifying receipt of the
webhook.

This is one of the “easy” cases Bob was referring too I think. But I’m not sure
until I see and can test the code what the right approach is. Approaches could
be:

1) In LiveCode server return “put” a response the after use wait / send in time
to do indexing. Does this work and not lockup the server?

2) Schedule cron jobs with LiveCode

3) Use shell commands such as “at” to schedule a task at a future time.

4) Use tools that can manage spawning of LiveCode server pseudo-threads

While this example might be server centric, I suspect that many of the
principles carry over to the desktop and it is the most common use case for a
need for “threads”