Paul Dupuis wrote:

> I just discovered much to my dismay that you can not execute the
> following:
>
> put "ascending" into tDirection
> soft lines of tContainer tDirection international
>
> apparently neither the sort direction (ascending|descending) nor the
> sort type (international|text|datetime|numeric|binary) can be
> variable!
> I see this a a bug or perhaps a failure to fully robust impliment the
> sort container command? Does any one else see this as a bug?

Bug or feature? The ambiguities introduced by the HyperTalk team have made that an evergreen question. ;)

Some tokens can be parameterized, others not.

MC/LC goes much further than HC in allowing object references to be a mix of literal and variable expressions, e.g.:

   -- Works in LC, not in HC:
   put the long id of this cd into tCdObj
   get the name of btn 1 of tCdObj

...but other expressions and keywords are not so clear.

Let's see what happens if we parameterize everything in your statement:

  put "ascending" into tDirection
  put "numeric" into tSortType
  put "items" into tChunkType
  put "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9" into tData
  sort tChunkType of tData tSortType tDirection

In that last line, which variables should we expect to be allowed, and which ones not?

I'm certain there's a rule defining this.

I'm equally certain I've never met any xTalker who was able to intuit that rule with complete confidence.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems