Hi Dan,

Yes, there were a lot of us who specifically contributed to make the Community
version possible
as open source.  One of the justifications was that if the company went under
we would still have
the Community version available to us. The promise that the company would also
support it was
equally appealing. While the original intent was to use the Community version
to widen the user
base, and get more paying customers, it apparently didn’t get enough of them to
be able to
justify sustaining the Community version.

I can understand why there are users who feel betrayed by the company
especially with the new
pricing structure, and the discontinuance of support for the Community version
which was even
paid for in a marketing campaign in advance of it’s release.

It can seem that the company keeps increasing it’s prices while taking away
functionality by
forcing users to select which specific platforms to be able to deploy to. That
seems to go against
the idea of coding once and being able to deploy to all platforms in one
affordable package.

Access to the Community version is still very important as that is how many
users were first
introduced to LiveCode who then became paying customers. I believe the try it
before buying
model is still very important for helping users to make the purchase decision.

It would be nice if the company were willing to provide the final version of
the Community
version under an MIT license instead of GPL since they will no longer be
supporting it at all, and
it marks a true fork in the road from the codebase going forward.  That might
make the transition
easier to accept for some users. Continually making users of your product feel
disappointed
or angry isn’t a good marketing strategy.  The happier you can make your
customers the better
your business will be!

I think it’s great that the CEO is interested in negotiating with those users
who feel they can’t
afford the new pricing structure, which is certainly something one would never
see with
large companies like Disney.

The LC community is going through a shock with so much change that had no
gradual hints
about it. Acceptance of the changes will take time as it always does, but we
will adjust.

Just my 2 cent observations for the day.

Rick