My thought is to not limit it to scripts necessarily, but all objects in a
stack - stack, substacks, cards, controls, along with all their properties
both standard and custom.

I see it as a standalone program that would open a stack file, grab all the
above info and write it into a database.  There would then be an option to
compare two versions of the same stack and present a list of everything
that had changed between them.  I guess you could even recreate a stack
file in an emergency.

I already have code that does a lot of the work to get all the info needed
from a stack but currently it just presents it online and doesn't store it
anywhere.

I'm guessing there'll be some gotchas along the way, but I think this could
be a useful tool as part of some sort of version control system.  I can
think of several occasions where it would have saved me a lot of time.

Pete

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Richard Gaskin
<ambassa...@fourthworld.com>wrote:

> Pete wrote:
>
>  All good points.  I guess I'm thinking of a different situation that
>> multiple people working on the same project.  When someone reports a bug
>> that crept into a particular version of an application, it would be useful
>> to see what changes were made to the stack that might have introduced the
>> bug.
>>

> That's a very good point.
>
> It shouldn't be too hard to write a tool that can examine two sets of
> stack files and produce a list of handlers which have been modified.
>
> It would be a little tricky to write because we can't currently have two
> stacks open with the same name, but I think it may be doable using
> something like this:
>
> The tool would create an array with object references as the primary key
> and handler names as the secondary key, where the value is the handler
> definition itself.
>
> Then after it completes a scan of a given stack, it then goes through the
> other version and compares the same handler definitions, noting changes,
> missing items, and new items, and produces a clickable list of changes that
> could take the developer to the script in question.
>
> I'll add this to my "To Do" list; seems like it would be useful.....
>

> --
>  Richard Gaskin
>  Fourth World
>  LiveCode training and consulting: http://www.fourthworld.com