Ray Horsley wrote:

> I'm in the K-12 education field.  Teachers are quickly moving away
> from downloading anything and their IT guys are even worse, sometimes
> setting up systems which disallow downloading a desktop app.  I
> hadn't looked at building for Web in a while but this is very
> discouraging to find it's gone.  I had hoped it had been cleaned up
> since I last worked with it, not abandoned.

If it's gone someone should let RunRev know:
<http://www.runrev.com/products/web/>

> From what I see the education industry is not the only area moving
> rapidly toward doing everything in a browser.  Healthcare, finance,
> you name it, everybody spends most of the day in browsers today.
> Does this mean the majority of us Livecoders are doing nothing more
> than writing mobile apps?

Ironically, a mobile app is very much like the most viable, flexible, and cost-effective alternative to RevWeb: net-savvy standalones.

Whether the LiveCode engine is wrapped as a browser plugin or your own standalone, either way it'll need institutional buy-in to get your stacks distributed.

Any org that will allow a third-party binary browser plugin should also allow a standalone.

Like the browser plugin, a standalone can easily download stacks from a server, even compressed stacks for quick delivery.

But unlike a browser you have far more options:

Your users can enjoy the flexibility any desktop app has in terms of a UI dedicated for its workflow, along with local file access and other traditional app features, which can be used to provide an offline mode, smart caching, and more.

And if needed, a standalone can be more secure than a browser: just turn on the secureMode as the first line in your startup handler, and your app will be prevented from many any changes at all on the local machine.

I suspect that most of the laments from not being able to use RevWeb for deployment fall into two camps:

a) Devs who've had to work with orgs run by dumb really dumb IT staff who somehow think that a proprietary binary executable that's called a "browser plugin" is somehow inherently safer than an application

b) Devs who haven't really pursued such conversations with their clients seriously, so the issue is largely just theoretical for them.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems