On 09/13/2012 04:21 PM, Peter Haworth wrote:
The purpose for this is for a user of my software to send an email to
support and to automatically attach a file to the email that contains
information about the user's environment.  Sarah's stack requires the name
of the SMTP server and since that will be different on each user's machine
and I don't know in advance what it is, her stack won't help me
unfortunately.

Any other suggestions?  I can embed the information in the body of the
email instead of in an attachment so not hugely important. Or I could just
rewrite my app to run on iPhone/Android, then I could use the commands
provided by LC for those platforms:-)

Pete
lcSQL Software<http://www.lcsql.com>

You can expect unexpected problems using either SMTP or using revMail. Port blocking may require the use of nonstandard ports for SMTP and not everyone will have a desktop email client set up.

You could use an SMTP relay service and provide the address and credentials yourself. Some SMTP relay services allow you to use non-standard ports. Some of them are quite inexpensive for low volume use, so that could help cover some scenarios if you're really determined to use SMTP.

The server side script solution is far less problematic. You could also look into a script that stores the info in a database and you collect it manually.

Good Luck,

Warren