stephen barncard wrote:
I don't want to discourage anyone, or say 'it can't be done' (and someone
will try to prove me wrong) but..

This is something that Livecode isn't really appropriate for.
The audio package in LC is just not up to this kind of specialized task,
and is covered by several free or open source applications. Be aware that
in the current engine, one can't even export an audio file to any format.
 ( I wrote some handlers to do that entirely in Livecode, but had to
reverse engineer the internal audio format and do all sorts of kludgey
things. And at the end of the day, LC audio limited to 16 bit and 48k
sample rate.

That's true for embedded audioClips, but for cases where QuickTime files can be an option the future looks more promising:

If I recall correctly from Trevor's notes in an enhancement request some time ago, QT provides APIs or that but LC is still using an older method of initializing QT structures that prevents using some of the newer APIs.

I believe this will be addressed (along with a great many QT-independent issues with media playback on Win and Linux) as part of the "Multimedia engine" rewrite among the Kickstarter stretch goals, on the roadmap under Queued as "Multimedia":
<http://livecode.com/community/roadmap/>

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World