Alex Tweedly wrote:
Every week I look at the newsletter, and in the "Interesting discussion"
section I find pointers to the uselist discussions.

I follow the uselist pretty closely, but have never found an acceptable
way to follow the forum discussions, so I rarely read anything on there
(except if an entry on the uselist contains a pointer to a particular
discussion).

Does the fact that the weekly newsletter always references interesting
discussions on uselist but not on the forums indicate:

(a) all the interesting discussion happens there, and I am right to
(almost) ignore the forums
(btw - :-)

(b) it is assumed that everyone follows the forums anyway, so there is
no need to mention their discussions in the newsletter.

(c) whoever draws up this part of the newsletter is, like me, a uselist
follower rather than a forum user.

Or of course,
(d) something else entirely.

Probably a bit of each. Like the rest of us, Peter is an individual with his own tastes. Some people spend more time with the list, others with the forums, and maybe Peter just spends more time here.

That said, in previous newletters I've seen more than a few posts to the forums, and I see him there regularly enough to know he drops in at least weekly.

For me the most convenient way to read the forums has been to use the "View new posts" link at the top of the home page. In fact, that's the one I bookmarked, so it saves me a click each time I choose my bookmark.

New users will have everything flagged as "new" of course, but the more you come back the more usefully the list only contains threads changed since your last visit.

As for whether one can be "right to (almost) ignore the forums" or "wrong" on that is a notion that confuses me. Do whatever you enjoy.

I can say on the one hand that the forums appear to be the preference of a majority of newcomers, so there is a larger proportion of beginner-oriented questions than we see on this list.

But on the other hand, the separated threaded discussions there, along with simpler persistence, lend themselves to a greater depth in some forums than we often see here. The "Engine Contributors" section and others under the "LiveCode Open Source" heading can be especially worthwhile for serious pros.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems