Mark Wieder wrote:

> Yesterday I was handed an nda to sign. There was a clause (yes,
> I actually do read these things) that started "Neither party will
> publicly disclose the existence of this document..." I recoiled,
> this caused a huddle of half a dozen people for several minutes,
> the company lawyer came over and sheepishly crossed out the
> paragraph, and we went on.

Good lawyer.

I know a lot of developers starting out who get timid about asking for contract changes. I had the good fortune of cutting my teeth in that area under an excellent manager who taught me about doing contract review with our clients' corporate counsel with this:

"Their job is to ask for the world. Your job is to ask for half of it back."

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems