On 2016-04-14 17:06, Richard Gaskin wrote:
It's almost like the IDE engine has had special handling added at some
point to send errorDialog messages directly to one particular IDE
script.

To be fair, it does say in the dictionary under 'errorDialog':

Note: The errorDialog message is only sent while Script Debug mode is turned off. To toggle Script Debug mode, click on the Development menu of LiveCode's menubar.

So at least the behavior you are seeing is documented (for once ;)) [ of course, I cannot say whether that note was added because that was the observed behavior, or whether it was the intended behavior ].

The IDE engine itself doesn't have any special handling for errors (relative to the standalone engine) - however, the IDE must be doing something *somewhere* as the part of the engine which implements the engine-side part of the debugger is distinct from the part which dispatches the errorDialog message (as far as I can see anyway).

The errorDialog message does interact with the 'lock error dialogs' command - if the latter has been called then it changes the target of the errorDialog message to the object which administered the lock (this remains until the current handler stack resolves, or 'unlock error dialogs' occurs).

My general feeling is that the errorDialog message should not be affected by Script Debug Mode. Ideally, the debugger would kick in when an error is thrown (allowing you to see the context of the error) and then when you click 'Continue' it should then still propagate an errorDialog message.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/