To be precise:

LiveCode 2.7.x or later (any edition should do)
Visual C++ 2005 – any edition including Express (if you want to build
externals on Windows)
XCode 2.4.x (if want to build externals on Mac OS X)

(At least it exists now - when I last posted to this list in despair (09/10/2015 18:45), it had gone missing altogether.)

On a slightly adjusted topic - one of those questions I've been feeling too stupid to ask but would really appreciate - is there anyway an explanation of the differences and relationships between:
        - widgets
        - libraries
        - externals
        - plugins