Bob:
> As a result, we have no business talking about how much they
> should charge for licensing. I am up for renewal on the Indy
> license. I am not well to do. I am balking at the price right
> now. Still, I could use the non-comm version, but then I feel
> like I am not contributing, so I am torn betwixt the two.

To promote LiveCode to various people, I would also love to see a lower entry point on Indy or another closed source edition. Like you, I don't presume to know or wish to control how the business should be run or priced. But I've known and worked with enough people on smaller budgets to have no doubt that price point affects some of us, and people have very different situations and mindsets.

This has been discussed at great length before, the hobbyist and so on, and it's so true that for many people the free version does the job. Problem solved. For many others, having a business means their ducks are sufficiently in a row that $999 is a no-brainer price. Even better. And yes, it is an amazing price for all the technology and platforms included.

All true, and yet repeating these often enough can lead people to buy into the fallacy that this covers the entire range of interested LiveCode users. Unfortunately I happen to know that it doesn't. There are people who have their own reasons for wanting something more than free, but the current Indy price makes that a pretty big jump. Obviously wannabe iOS publishers on a shoestring is one group, although there are others I could name, including those with more proprietary ambition than cash in the short term.

It's not my place to judge or defend these people and their reasons, any more than LiveCode's decisions and their model. But I would still like to have those people onboard, so I would love to see anything to that end, such as an Indy special or perhaps another column in the price continuum of free, ___, 1K, 2K. Lagi's point about impulse buys was interesting too. So long as an edition reached those people I wouldn't really mind which method it would use.

In your own particular case, if the open source version sufficed, you could still voluntarily contribute a certain amount annually. But I would hate to see anyone leave the Indy edition, which is my own personal favorite!

No expectations of easy agreement, especially on this of all things. But there's value in planting a seed now and then and seeing what other people think too. The future will sort it all out. I've just burned through another budget rather quickly, my public communication time, so I'll duck back to work. I enjoyed the chat very much as always! Happy coding. :)

Best wishes,

Curry Kenworthy
--
WordLib: Take charge of MS Word and OpenOffice documents
SpreadLib: "Excel-lent" spreadsheet import/export for LC