jonathandlynch wrote:

> Apparently, both WebView (android) and uiwebview (iOS) have
> transparent modes.
>
> Would it be easy for the LC team to implement a transparent mode for
> browser widgets, where the background color is transparent, allowing
> other objects to show through?
>
> This would obviate the need for some the processor intensive image
> transfers in and out of the widget.
>
> I know one would have to set the background-color of the body element
> to transparent and set a couple of settings in the WebView calls. Is
> that all it would take?

I'd guess that it wouldn't be hard to implement, but much harder to implement in a way performant enough for anyone to want to use. :)

I believe the browser widget maintains its own buffer, blitted to screen. This makes it fast, but prevents it from mixing its rendering with LC-native controls.

For mixed rendering it would need to render within the compositing process Mark Waddingham outlined here a while back in answer to Jacque's question about acceleratedRendering. My guess would be that doing so as rapidly as a browser might conceivably update would be computationally expensive.

That's just a guess, though. I'd be happy to be wrong. Integrated rendering of the browser widget would be nice.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems