On 2017-05-18 18:07, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
Didn't find it in the dictionary, but I do see that now in the
language reference. How would one define a quote constant?
constant quote is "\q"  ?

Yes.

The language guide explicitly states "Note: Constants are not
currently implemented, although the syntax is recognised." What am I
supposed to make of that?

That's a bug in the language reference - it should say that only literal values are supported at present, general (constant) expressions are not.

That's unfortunate. In LCS I often change the itemdelimiter in order a
to parse complex strings. The lack of the ability to manipulate things
at this level is a serious detriment to text parsing, which is one of
the main strengths of LCS.

Indeed - it is a *great* strength of LCS and is very important in the domain of things which are written in LCS. The development of LCB has mainly focused on things which LCS cannot do - like calling foreign functions and being able to render complex visual representations of data with a much lower overhead than is necessary in LCS.

Ah. So the dictionary isn't a good place to look for things. I'll
spend some time working my way through the language reference instead.

Heh - as Ali said, the docs and such need a fair bit of work :)

Similarly, word and token are 'tokenized chunks' - they action could be
described by a regular expression.

See above (itemdelimiter).

See above (strengths of LCS vs LCB) :)

Now, I'm not saying that LCB shouldn't have better ways to manipulate text - closing the gap between LCS and LCB is an important goal; however, it seems wiser to get the things working in LCB which LCS cannot do first, before replicating functionality LCS already does really well.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/