On 2017-06-26 12:41, hh via use-livecode wrote:
No reason to get angry. This thread started from an excellent LC Lesson
in the forum ( http://forums.livecode.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=29403 )
There is only one line to know:

function logarithmicSearch @pArray pItem pLeft pRight

Presumably a lot of people uses scripts from these lessons (that are
pretty good, recommended for beginners). So "forget pretty quickly" seemed
not appropriate to me. And a candidate for your "certain percentage" is
each and every beginner.

I wasn't getting angry - hence the 'wink' at the end...

It was just merely a reminder that none of us are 'omnipotent' - its always useful to reference discussions if they are mixed from different places (there's a lot of posts everywhere, and many times we can only survey the headlines).

But please don't judge this as 'bug'. It is a wonderful feature!
Beginners can learn from it. Would be better to explain the advantages and disadvantages for using spaces instead of commas (one could use parts of
this thread).

In general I'd perhaps say that we should normalize the lessons to use code forms which are considered best practice - so I would consider lessons which use spaces and not commas as a bug for this reason.

I'm not sure I can see that using spaces between arguments *is* in any way best-practice as it hides a required notion when you actually have to call the command (and can hide subtle typing errors as Paul pointed out) - the synergy between parameter declarations and parameter use is probably an important concept thus should be reinforced at every opportunity.

Something Richard mentioned about '=' being used in constant and var init also sticks in my mind as slightly jarring - it is perhaps something we should tweak to allow 'is' and '=' (yes, *technically* a synonym, but we can make the 'is' form strictly preferred as a slightly better way of expressing what you mean):

  constant kFoo is 100
  local tVar is 200

In LCB, we chose 'is' rather than '=' for very much this reason.

I think it is probably generally true that the more consistent and simpler the language is, the easier it is to learn.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/