On Wed, Jul 19, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Richmond Mathewson via use-livecode <
use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> On 7/19/17 7:15 pm, Dr. Hawkins via use-livecode wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jul 18, 2017 at 8:55 PM, Monte Goulding via use-livecode <
>> use-livecode@lists.runrev.com> wrote:
>>
>>   Looking at the PR it was meant to only set the backdrop if users were
>>> still in the first run mode of the start center.
>>>

>> Uhm . . . why would anyone think that that would be a *good* thing?   I
>> react to my screen being seized as a hostile act.
>>
>> I didn't even realize that it was livecode that had attached me; initially
>> I assumed an OS glitch.
>>
>> When I saw that my desktop came back when I switched applications, and was
>> seized again when livecode resumed, I tried preferences, and didn't see
>> anything.
>>
>> Eventually. I tried view, and found a "backdrop" setting set, and turned
>> that off.
>>
>> I had never heard of backdrop before, and would have had no idea to try to
>> deal with it in the message box.
>>

> That's funny; that backdrop goes back to at least the Free revMedia thing.

MetaCard had the backdrop.  I used it on IRIX, and it was wonderful to
isolate the coding environment from the other stuff.  In fact, other very
expensive high-end graphics software we used did exactly the same thing.
The graphics system set a neutral gray backdrop to enable the user to make
subtle color edits to photographs of food.  The idea was that the
neutrality of the gray backdrop would not interfere with your
interpretation of color, as the surrounding colors do actually affect your
visual perception.  So, yeah.  I have a background in graphics which
incidentally makes me like the backdrop.

~Roger