Read C. S. Lewis on the matter of "laws" in these two very different senses.
Laws of nature are not really laws that we can choose to break them and behave
in a manner contrary to them. Laws in this context simply means "how things
are". Laws in the second sense means "how we as a whole agree we ought to act
and we agree so vehemently that we have consequences put in place for those who
disregard them".

Bob S