On 2017-08-09 18:29, Mark Wieder via use-livecode wrote:
Looking into the engine code, by the time you get to the actual bitXor
code, the input arguments are already unsigned integers. Since I was
passing 20-hex-digit values to bitXor, I would have expected some kind
of runtime warning or error or something. It's not just a loss of
precision here, it's a totally wrong answer with no indication that
anything has gone astray. Writing a string-oriented function to handle
this wasn't a problem - realizing that something had gone wrong was.

Indeed, I don't disagree - but its how things have ALWAYS been, which means that throwing an error will likely break someone's app somewhere which has come to rely on the behavior the way it is...

Please do file a bug about it - it is, at the very least, an anomaly.

Warmest Regards,

Mark.

--
Mark Waddingham ~ m...@livecode.com ~ http://www.livecode.com/