Paul Dupuis wrote:

> FYI we found that interapp communication via sockets is more reliable
> cross-platform that via interprocess communication, but at some real
> world customer sites, security setting can prohibit socket
> communication even to the same computer where as IPC still works, so
> an app that need to be really really robust for real world installs
> may wish to include code for both and swap from one to the other if
> one means of communication fails.

If everyone would just get over themselves and start using Linux we could all enjoy named pipes. :)

But seriously, do you have a list of circumstances that prevent sockets on loopback?

Personally, I'm inclined to consider it a bug if any software prevents IPC via loopback sockets, but there may be a good reason worth learning. And even if the reasoning turns out not to be good, it's useful to know about limitations imposed on otherwise-reliable mechanisms.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Systems