> Once you've done that you can choose Tools > Android > AVD Manager and
> create a device. You'll need to choose something with armeabi architecture,
> not x86, when you create the device. Once it has booted up you should see
> it in the target list.

Thanks for the clearing this up Ali. When I go to the Tools menu Android is not
listed. BUT, you gave me a hint as to what was up. I did some searches and it
turns out that there’s still an issue with the default installation of Android
Studio — apparently, in Googles infinite wisdom, the Android menu is not
installed with the default configuration (dope slap to Google). You need to
select custom install and add the AVD and other options for installation.

I had 2 options to get things working. Completely uninstall Android Studio (not
something I wanted to tackle since it’s not just uninstall the app and I use
JetBrains for other dev work) or let AStudio fix itself. I choose Option 2.

Option 1 Uninstall:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47272832/no-android-option-in-tool-menu-and-no-avd-manager

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47272832/no-android-option-in-tool-menu-and-no-avd-manager>
 <— for windows, mac looks similar
Option 2 Let AStudio fix itself:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46948322/how-to-open-avd-manager-in-android-studio-3-0-version

<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46948322/how-to-open-avd-manager-in-android-studio-3-0-version>

Not out of the woods yet but I do have the Android menu now (YIPEE!).

I’ve created a AVD (Nexus 5 API 15 IceCreamSandwidch). I had installed this
from the configuration menu of AStudio. When I tried to created an AVD I got an
error:
"Emulator: emulator: ERROR: This AVD's configuration is missing a kernel file!
Please ensure the file "kernel-qemu" is in the same location as your system
image.”
"Emulator: emulator: ERROR: ANDROID_SDK_ROOT is undefined”

I went back and created a API 17 based AVD. This device is able to boot after I
downloaded the image.

Back to LC. Development->Test Target and select the Android emulator. Then
Development->Test.

LC: “Unable to build app for testing: could not compile Application class”

Troubleshooting continues but thanks for moving me forward.

Bob H.