Wrong assumptions. Rev works completely in RAM after loading. Save to disk is only done under command or script control. What you're seeing as disk activity is probably virtual memory in your OS. Rev doesn't touch that.

Most of us have given up the card data metaphor for serious projects. Forget the speed issue - having business code and data mixed together is just bad practice.

What you might consider 'lacking' is a trade-off most of us are happy to accept considering all the other advantages. I'm sure the makers of Rev have a good technical reason. And I frankly don't care about the card metaphor - to me it's just to accommodate legacy hypercard stacks for the transition and simple applications and documentation. There are so many ways to store data. Even in my Hypercard days I started storing data in resource forks of stacks. The great Rinaldi had an XCMD set that could save and get text in TEXT resources that could be edited in ResCopy or ResEdit. They were just like todays custom properties in Rev.

I was looking for ways to improve data use in Hypercard back in the 90's as one of the first users of the SQL database 'Butler'. It was the first SQL server built to run on a mac. Unfortuately the server was buggy and the XCMDs worse, it was crashing too much to even develop more than a few lines of SQL.

There's a lot more 'stuff' on a Rev card than a Hypercard 'card', so I guess moving and searching among the cards causes some messaging to occur, and some amount of housekeeping is done on each page change. A lot of this stuff goes away with lock screen etc.

But boy, if you're used to Hypercard speed and you hook up a real database to Rev... it will blow your socks off with speed and has so many more features you can apply to your data.. like working on entire columns at once, aggregate functions, etc.

supercomputers sitting on our desks or in our laps. Revolution
shouldn't take a performance hit until you're dealing with millions of
cards. Maybe it's doing something stupid in all of that searching, like
thousands of saves to disk when it should be suspending them until the
search operation is over.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o