At the risk of opening a can of worms, I offer the following as a synopsis of the sentiments underlying the posts about the "Learn Programming in One Day" ad. The common thread seems to me to be that programming, like any other profession, is not so much taught as practiced. Just as medical or law schools teach the rudiments of the profession, the real learning takes place in the day-to-day practice. Without lifelong learning, no lawyer, doctor, or programmer will come close to achieving his/her full potential.

Someone once told me in my first year of medical school that "medicine is a personal philosophy, tempered by science and experience, and put into practice." It seems to me that the statement applies equally to programming. My 2 cents.