Hi,
Here if I copy (or cut) from an Excel file (multiple rows and columns) and then I paste in a Rev field (with tab stops being defined) I got the texts of the cells separared by tabs (and the rows by cr)

I am working on Mac OSX 10.5.2.
Microsoft Excel 2008 for Mac
Rev 2.9.0 rc 3.

For a new stack I am developing, I am saving the Excel file in .txt (tab separator)
tab, carriage return as well are preserved.

I just tried with Excel file in .xls and I got the same expected result.

Actually, in my stack, I am using something like :
   open file suchFileName FOR read -- an excel file saved in .txt
     read from file suchFileName at 1 until EOF
   put it into fld "thisField"
   close file suchFileName

This works well;  tabs and crs are there

Best regards from Grenoble
André