Brilliant Sarah and Jan.

Thank you,
Bill Vlahos

On Jun 29, 2008, at 9:36 PM, Jan Schenkel wrote:

--- Bill Vlahos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
How do I get the word before a specific character in
a field? I can be
any character in the text field I choose but I can't
figure out how to
do something like "get the previous word" from a
specific character in
the field.

The only way I figure I could do it would be to
crawl backwards via a
repeat loop until I get to a space. This seems
inelegant and I can
envision several situations which would trip this up
(punctuation
characters, etc.).

Is there a built in function for this?

Thanks,
Bill Vlahos

Try this:
##
put wird -1 of char 1 to x of theText
##

No repeat loop - let the engine figure it out :-)

Jan Schenkel.

Quartam Reports & PDF Library for Revolution
<http://www.quartam.com>

=====
"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time." (La Rochefoucauld)