Alex Tweedly wrote:

Richard Gaskin wrote:

What is error 54?

"Connection reset by peer".

But does peer mean the server or your app?
Is it a timeout thing?

It is the server. Can be a timeout, can be policy, can be timeout
induced by rate-limiting, can be ... darn hard to figure out :-(
Thanks, Sarah.

FWIW, I've found that I can upload the file to the same server without
difficulty at home, it's only here in the office that the connection
times out.

I think it may be a router thang, but I've reviewed those settings and
I can't turn up anything that seems relevant.

But oddly enough, I find that I can upload the same file to Dreamhost
without difficulty; it's only with Bluehost that I have this issue.

btw - in my other email, I said it meant that you had received a RST
packet; that's normally the cause, but that's not the *only* way it can
happen.

Does it happen every time ?
At the same point in the file ?
Are you using same machine in both locations ? Same App, OS, etc. ?

It does not appear to be the exact same point in the file; IIRC it varies by a couple MBs. I've tried it with Interarchy and a custom Rev-based FTP client, with the same results:

At home, using cable: Bluehost succeeds, and Dreamhost succeeds
At the office, w/DSL: Bluehost fails, while Dreamhost succeeds

BH Tech Support tells me that they have no imposed limit on their end, but given that I have no problem with DH I'm inclined to think there's something funky with BH (well, something *else* funky, in addition to a long-standing issue with server log configuration, but that's a whole other story).

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World