--First you should do something to allow the user to cancel, such as

     if it is empty then exit to top

-- now
     put it into pathAndFilenameToRead -- not just the file name

--either
     put url ("binary:" & pathAndFilenameToRead) into binFileInVariable
     set the uFileStore of me to binFileInVariable
--or one step and no memory variable is created

--so it becomes 3 lines and user friendly + memory friendly
on mouseUp

answer file "Please select a file..."

      if IT is empty then exit to top
     set the uFileStore of me to url ("binary:" & IT)
end mouseUp