Paul D. DeRocco wrote:

Alternatively, is there a way to know in advance how much to twiddle the
vertical location by? It's 12 in my system, and I assume that's half the
height of the non-existent menu bar, but I expect that varies depending upon
the screen resolution or something-or-other, just as it would under Windows.
There really ought to be a clean way to get a program to remember its window
location without momentarily appearing at the wrong location whenever it's
opened.

It surprises me that the menu causes problems on the Mac (including all the
weirdness about menu items being moved around) that don't occur on Windows,
given that Rev is descended from Hypercard, a Mac program.

Here is an explanation of how Rev menus work on Mac:
<http://www.hyperactivesw.com/mctutorial/rraboutMenus.html>

Rev will scroll the top of the stack out of view by the height of the menubar. What appears to be "0,0" in the topleft corner is really more like "0,26" because the top section of the stack is out of view of the window frame. The default Rev menu height is 26, so if you set the stack to the screenloc you will see about what you describe: 13 pixels shorter at the top and another 13 shorter at the bottom.

That's just how it works. When you set a menubar on Mac, the stack is visibly (but not really) shorter and its top and bottom edges on screen will be less than on Windows. If it is important that the top of the stack be at a particular location, then you can do what Jerry described: open the stack invisibly and adjust its location on openStack, then show it. All system messages are sent normally to stacks that are open invisibly.