Peter Brigham MD wrote:
Yes, I forgot about the "show all file extensions" preference. I have it off, but when I turn it on and look in my Applications folder in the Finder, all of the other apps now have ".app" appended, but "Microsoft Word" doesn't. Neither does Powerpoint or Excel.

And when I try
   answer file "Pick an app:"; put it into a;put a
I get, eg, "/Applications/Calculator.app" no matter what the Finder settings are but I also get "/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Microsoft Word" no matter what the Finder settings are as well.

???

Sounds like you have version of Office that's so old, the apps aren't OS X bundles. I didn't think those would run any more. If you right-click on Word and you don't see "Show package contents" in the menu, then it isn't a bundle.