J. Landman Gay wrote:
On 4/30/05 11:27 PM, Phil Davis wrote:

Dar Scott wrote:

OK, well, what about a library that exports lots of functions, such as a math library? Functions don't have a separate result for an error.

Should the error be a special value in the result and propagated through?
Or should an error function tell whether there was an error since the last call to error function?
Or should an error be thrown?

I like the 'special value' idea.

What if the last (or first?) param passed to the function by my script is the value to be returned to my script if an error occurs?

The HyperCard standard for this was to preceed the value with a special string, commonly "Error:". Then your handler just checks to see if word 1 is that string.

put myFunction() into tValue
if word 1 of tValue = "Error:" then
  -- something went wrong; check the rest of the string
else
  -- do your thing
end if

Not fancy, but it works.

I like this better than what I proposed. Simple is good.

Phil Davis