On Jun 5, 2005, at 9:05 PM, Robert Brenstein wrote:

I have a client still running a Rev-based CGI (with Valentina as database) behind MacHTTP under OS9 and works just dandy, serving some 1500 users. AppleEvents (not AppleScript) are used for inter-program communication.

Such a setup will work just fine under 8.6 on beige 233. It is actually possible to run this (yes, 8.6) on early G4's to get some more cpu power. Perfect use for older hardware for less demanding service.

Robert

Robert,

nice, so you can just add an appleevent handler in your rev app and you're good to go?

man, that would be very nice.

cheers
andre

Yes, all you need is an appleevent handler that checks for web event and replies to it by sending html page. My old starter.cgi is still online for those who wants to get rolling faster.

This solution is particularly easy to implement for people with no unix background, which is required at least to some degree to handle an Apache setup. I am also running Apache/PHP/MySQL service and it is surely more work to maintain.

Robert