Dan, et al,

programming language that is everything to everyone is nothing to
anyone.

Not if it does the job. (You'd really like to switch between different programming environments to create bits and pieces of an application?) Isn't C a programming language that is everything to everyone? Is there something one cannot program in C alone?

Why would any Transcript scriptor want to write externals in C or Pascal if she could use Transcript syntax instead?

I think I've mentioned this before: Dan, I believe you, like moi, have suggested to C programmers new to Transcript that they will find Transcript's "verbose" syntax to be greatly more productive in terms of lines of code needed to accomplish a given task. So why would you want to use a different, less productive programming language to write externals? Would you feel the same if you had to write externals in Assembler or machine code?

Rob Cozens

"Wisdom entereth not into a malicious mind,
and science without conscience is but the ruin of the soul."

-- François Rabelais (c. 1494-1553)