If you can write externals in Transcript syntax and NOT over-extend the language to accommodate this demand, I don't have an issue. But that is not generally the case. When people talk about writing externals they generally (in my experience at least) mean they want to make the tool do something its built-in language does not inherently know how to do. There is in that desire a strong implication of adding features to the language that I believe will ultimately corrupt it to the point of not being accessible to mere mortals.

It's what I call the Javazation of Transcript. If you have a need for something in a program that Transcript simply can't do and if the right way to solve that problem is with an external, then it seems to me you should be willing to move outside the boundaries of the language to do that thing, whatever it is. (These multi-dimensional array manipulations, e.g., can apparently not be done satisfactorily in Transcript.)

I'm *always* going to come down on the side of keeping the language as simple as possible. In my opinion, it is already too burdened with baggage that is of use to a tiny fraction of its users in order to accommodate a few people with specific programming needs. As it becomes more complex -- even if those complexities are posited as "optional alternatives" -- it becomes more and more impenetrable to those who do not have a computer science background or formal computer training. Those folks already have enough languages to pick from. I strongly desire for this one to escape the clutches of the Programming Priesthood.