I know this is a pretty dirty sounding workaround, but what happens if you place an alias to the file in the user's temporary files (instead of copying it there)? More work but less disk space if it works...

If you want to deliver a media player now, the only way around this is to have your app duplicate the user's media somewhere on their drive, rename it, and then make sure to delete the duplicate when you're done. For a few files, one by one, this might be OK, but I question whether this is a valid
workaround for potentially dozens of multi-megabyte files.