On Oct 21, 2005, at 2:28 PM, Jim Ault wrote:

Another factor in the 'value' vs 'benefit' to open source and commercial software is that the utilizer (user) has to study any of the material and forge a solution by combining it with something else. This is also a cost,
often an insidious, slowly-revealing hidden cost.

Are you saying this is a difference between open-source and commercial software? That sure isn't my experience. (Rev provides an excellent example of non-open-source software that, for me at least, seems to require a lot of cobbling-together to make something finally usable.) Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point.

Charles Hartman