An exciting prospect for the New Year!

Charles

On Dec 22, 2005, at 11:24 AM, Jerry Daniels wrote:

Colleagues,

I'm encouraged by your enthusiasm for an embedded var watcher in Constellation to replace the Rev Var watcher palette that we now use.

Here's what I'm proposing to do:

- inclusion of an embedded var watcher in Constellation as opposed to using Rev's as a separate palette

- new var watcher general behavior

     + only appears during debugging session
     + props and preview disappear during debugging session
+ new var watcher appears where props and preview would normally appear
     + new var watcher automatically appears during debugging session
+ new var watcher automatically disappears when debugging session is over
     + props and preview reappear when debugging session is over

- new var watcher features

     + calling path
= drop down menu at top with calling path item in each line of menu
         = type of handler will be indicated in path item
         = path syntax will be like transcript syntax
= choosing a calling path will reconstruct its context showing its vars and values

     + var names
         = name will appear in first column
         = if var is an array, a disclosure triangle will precede
= clicking array disclosure triangle will reveal element keys and values

     + var values
         = first 100 chars and/or first line of var value will appear
         = values will be links
         = clicking link will make entire value of var editable
= array elements will be editable in same fashion when disclosed

I have been somewhat reluctant to do this because most of this functionality is in Rev's var watcher. However, the approach outlined above, does offer several advantages, and hearing from folks so enthusiastically offers me encouragement.

I appreciate the offer of additional monies for upgrade, and certainly won't turn down paypal donations (paypal button at http:// www.daniels-mara.com). That said, spreading the word "amongst yourselves" and thus increasing Constellation market share would be an excellent tribute (payment) for this boon (embedded variable watcher) and future improvements.

Reminder: Constellation still only costs 50 dollars US. That's a cheap dinner for two in any major metro area. If you live in your mom's (or your wife's!) basement, she spends that kind of money on your food every couple of days.

Happy Holidays!

Jerry Daniels

Tool makers for the 21st century
http://www.daniels-mara.com/products

P.S. Dick, please send your install-again-for-each-rev-version hack to me (better rename it so Rev doesn't go bonkers), so I can see what you're talking about.