Trevor DeVore wrote:
On Jan 3, 2006, at 4:14 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

Is there any Mac utility out there that allows one to poke around inside a
ZIP archive to delete these extraneous .ds_store files?

The terminal can help you here. Open terminal and change to the directory you want to delete all .ds_store files from (including subdirectories). One way to do this is to type "cd " and then drag the folder from the finder. Type "return" and that will change the active directory of the terminal.

Type this:

find ./ -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm -f {} \;

This should get rid of all the files.  I use it all of the time.

Is there a way to tell the OS to never copy any files starting with "." when copying to removable devices?

Or is the lack of such a critical feature part of Apple's "buy our hardware or suffer" strategy?

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation