Alex Tweedly wrote:

I can easily see the "easy to install, delete and move" - but I'm not quite so sure about the "easy to maintain". It seems like there might be issues with any new version wishing to retain the existing user preferences and data.

I'm thinking my apps are all updated over the internet, so new versions
wouldn't have a problem with prefs.

I license 1 app to 1 person, so I'm not worried about multiple users.

I'd be interested in your thoughts on how you'll lay out the contents within the single folder.
Maybe 3 (typically) sub-folders - application, prefs and data ?
   (with the user having the choice of putting data elsewhere, of course).

Yes, indeed something like that.

How do portable apps work out for the non-portable user ?

They could install it anywhere they like on their hard drive. Program
Files if they wanted to.

One more thought - are you considering cross-platform portable apps ??
A single folder that contains Windows + Mac + Linux apps ... to allow people to use whichever machine type is available; one step further than the portableapps site has done, but would be really cool, I think.

Wow! That's a very cool idea. I think I'll be sure and architect for it.
Could be a great selling point, especially if you only use a single
splashscreen standalone for each platform (like I typically do anyway).

-Chipp