Well, I must admit (ducking for cover), I'm using the 30 incher primarily as an HDTV (using an El Gato tuner), for watching videos and for (yes, I admit it!) playing games. "Apple TV, I don't need no steenkin' Apple TV, I've got my mini." :-)))

The gaming function, in particular, pretty much requires a dedicated graphics card. I'd love to be able to just leave my mini hooked up to the 30 inch display full time instead of attaching and detaching the MBP.