Yes, Stephen, I have used a 17" in an airplane other than 1st Class. It was tight, but doable.

Have you ever used a laptop smaller than 17" anywhere but on an airplane? It is fine to speak from your experience, but don't speak from your experience as if it is the be all and end all of everyone's experience. For that matter, if you answered my question at the beginning of this paragraph with "Yes" then perhaps you are cheating yourself when you speak from one experience as if it is the whole of your experience.
   -  Mick