Brian,

We've taken the same approach, with ElasticSearch running on the same nodes as Cassandra.

Make sure you have enough memory on your nodes, because ElasticSearch and Cassandra both love memory.

We started with 12gb of memory, allocating ElasticSearch and Cassandra 5gb each and it wasn't enough. We ended up upgrading to 48gb of memory, allocating 15gb to Cassandra, 15gb to ElasticSearch and haven't had any issues since.

Thanks,
Mike Peters