They are suitable for production use for protecting your Cassandra server, not the clients. The clients likely will experience an error when the limit is reached, and it needs to handle that error appropriately.

What you really want to do probably are:

1. change the client's behaviour, limit the number of servers it connects to concurrently. The client can close connections not in use, and/or only connect to a subset of servers (note: affects token-aware routing).

2. after made the above change, if the number of connections is still an issue, horizontally scale up your Cassandra cluster to handle the peak number of connections. More nodes means less connections to each node.