Mixing two normal maps doesn't sound logical to me.
Maybe I'm completely wrong, but this is how I understood the differences
between normal and bump maps:
A bump map is based on rather simple data.
It's easy to add, subtract or multiply the value of grey scale pixels.
Normal maps however rotate the normals of the polygons depending on
different colors in the map.
You cannot use math in the same way as on bump maps.