I'm aware of at least one person who has patched Accumulo to allow
customizing the HDFS volume on which the WALs are stored. This reminds me
that I need to check on the status of that patch. I'm hoping it'll be
contributed soon.

I'm also curious if it'd make a difference writing to HDFS with the data
nodes mounted with sync, instead of doing a separate sync call.