How can I fix this?

I have managed to get the passwords out of synch on my root account.  IOTW
The login password for root no longer matches accumulo-site.xml.  The
tracer is complaining like this:

org.apache.accumulo.core.client.AccumuloSecurityException: Error
BAD_CREDENTIALS for user root - Username or Password is Invalid

I tried manually synching them up by changing accumulo-site.xml.  Now the
tserver is unhappy:

org.apache.zookeeper.KeeperException$NoAuthException: KeeperErrorCode =
NoAuth for
/accumulo/1f58627f-ba20-4e68-bd4c-927f99230de4/tservers/localhost:9997

Either way I am getting connection reset by peer when I try to connect from
a remote.

Thanks for any help
--
There are ways and there are ways,