I wound up doing a fresh init.

Thanks for telling me about the --reset-security flag for init.  I hadn't
seen that before.  It didn't work, however, Accumulo just threw an error.
I also tried resetting the instance secret back to default using the CLI
but I got another error.

The fresh init did resolve some of the errors I was seeing in the logs.

Thanks for you help