Hello,

I could track down the reason for the problem. Now I'd need an advice from
experts how to solve it :-)

When synchronizing the dirs, we'd like to preserve some files. These files have
a certain local name. Hence we specify these files in the 'preserveintarget'
clause.

The problem is that if a directory that should be deleted as a whole (because
it does not exist in the source anymore) contains such a file, it does not get
deleted (because it's still not empty).

How could I achieve that the non-existence of the dir in the source "wins" over
the 'preserveintarget'?

Here's an example:

source dir structure: empty (i.e. no files or subdirs in it)

target dir structure:

aaa (dir)
   fileToPreserve.txt (file)

<project default="sync">

    <property name="from" value="C:\testFrom" />
    <property name="to" value="C:\testTo" />

    <target name="sync">
        <sync todir="${to}">
            <fileset dir="${from}"/>
            <preserveintarget>
                <include name="**/fileToPreserve.txt" />
            </preserveintarget>
        </sync>
    </target>

</project>

The desired result here would be that the dir 'aaa' is deleted in the target
because the dir does not exist in the source.

What I observe is that the dir 'aaa' is not deleted because it contains a file
to preserve. But this file should be ignored in my case because 'aaa' should be
deleted as a whole. I.e. ant should not even look into aaa.

How can I achieve this?

Thanks!
AL