Hey there!

As part of my MSc dissertation at University of Oxford, I wrote and
published two papers covering the characteristics of various binary
serialization formats, including Apache Avro and performing a
space-efficiency benchmark, respectively.

Sharing them here in case anybody finds them interesting! The first
paper explains how Apache Avro works including an annotated hexadecimal
example and the second compares Apache Avro to various other popular
serialization formats.

- A Survey of JSON-compatible Binary Serialization Specifications:
  https://arxiv.org/abs/2201.02089
- A Benchmark of JSON-compatible Binary Serialization Specifications:
  https://arxiv.org/abs/2201.03051

The benchmark study has proved Apache Avro to be one of the most
space-efficient formats considered.

All the best!

--
Juan Cruz Viotti