The Beam model generally is agnostic to the rate at which elements are
produced and consumed. Instead, it uses the concept of a watermark to
provide a completion metric, and element timestamps to record when an event
happened (which is independent of when the event was processed). Your
pipeline should be correct regardless of the input rate by using the
(data-based) timestamp of arriving elements instead of the time they
arrived in the Pipeline. This allows you to describe the output of your
Pipeline in terms of the input records (which have associated timestamps)
rather than the rate at which input arrived. You can assign timestamps to
an existing PCollection using the 'WithTimestamps' PTransform, or create a
new PCollection where elements have associated timestamps using the
'Create.timestamped()' PTransform. Some sources will also output elements
with a Timestamp already associated with the element (e.g. KafkaIO or
PubSubIO).

If the sole desire is to rate limit your input, using
CountingInput.unbounded().withRate(Duration) will output elements at a
continuous rate to your downstream PCollection. This will output elements
over time in such a way that the desired rate is reached.